Table of Contents
How to clean and maintain a microscope
A microscope is the efficient scientific tool to see bacteria, the bond of chemicals and viruses and it is widely used in many industries such as ecological testing, forensic examination, protein study, chemical structure and scrutinizing tissue. It is packed with the lenses, blends light rays and curved piece of glass.
The microscope used in schools, professional laboratories and at least two lenses of microscope helpful to produce the magnified image. If lens above the object then it is known as an objective lens and another lens could nearby your eye that is known as ocular or eyepiece lens. Also here you can find the best usb microscope and best microscope for students with reviews
When you shift the microscope then you must carry it with both hands and grab arm with one hand. At the same time place the other hand under the base of the microscope for convenient.
How to use the microscope
In case you look to use the microscope then you must follow the step by step instructions which includes
- First and foremost turn on the illuminator and use dimmer that could slowly maximize the light intensity which sufficient to heat lamp quickly.
- Place the specimen or slide on stage along with the sample above aperture and you can also fasten the stage with the help of stage clips. Keep in mind a coverslip allow the best quality of the image.
- Check iris diaphragm could completely open because it allows the maximum amount of light that perhaps reach the lens and slide. You should not use the iris diaphragm to manage the light.
- Turn nosepiece so that lowest level of the magnification with the objective lens could directly place above the sample.
- Look via binocular eyepiece and try to adjust the iris diaphragm unless and until the amount of light could be acceptable. In fact, more light is better than the less light and comfort of the viewer’s eye need to adjust.
- Rotate the coarse adjustment knob until slide comes into the wide focus. You must not use the coarse focus.
- Spin the fine adjustment handle until slide might come into the sharp focus and in case you face any kinds of difficulties to find out the focus then you must restart the lower magnification objective
- The viewer has the ability to rotate the nosepiece so that it could bring the sample into more detail along with the minimal amount of the refocusing.
Certain types of the microscope could come with the specific features which are called as rack stop and it might prevent objective lens. Actually routine mechanical and optical maintenance of the microscope ensures that your microscope works in the long run.
Things to know about microscope maintenance
Most of the microscope problems could happen because of improper handling so you must carefully handle this instrument. In case you look to transport the microscope one place to another place then it is essential to purchase microscope carrying case.
If the microscope is not in use it is always advisable to cover it with the dust cover which could extend the life of this tool.
Every microscope comes up with the user manual and before making the adjustment you must read the user manual.
Nosepiece could often too lose or tight and adjustment mechanism also available in the nosepiece. Slot headed screw present in the middle of nosepiece which could solve this nosepiece problem.
People must frequently clean the lens and you should not use sharp instruments when you clean microscope lens.
Actually Moisten lens paper along with the lens cleaning solution could be the ideal solution to clean the lens and try to follow the circular motion. If dust particle could occur at eyepiece then you can remove the eyepiece from the microscope. At the same time, it is not also always advisable to take the eyepiece part when it has multiple lenses.
In case you are interested to use the liquid to clean the eyepiece then distilled water is the best choice to clean.
Instead of deciding which of the objective lens need to clean; people might use the blank glass slide that could put under the microscope. In case you show interest to handle microscope ineffective then you must follow the below things such as
- Dust must be cleaned off with the soft brush or pressurized air
- Clean the oils, fingerprints, smudges from the lens with amazing soft clean or lens paper moistened cloth with a little amount of isopropyl alcohol
- Working temperature must be 32° F-104° F and relative humidity was 85%
- People should not use the thinner or other kinds of the solvents
- Let it dry all surface of microscope part when the cleaning is done
- Store it in the dry place
- In a moist or humid environment, it recommended to stock up the microscope in the waterproof container along with a drying agent
- You should not store the microscope in sunlight because it could affect the quality of slide imaging
Effective information about microscope handling
In fact, there are huge numbers of the mechanisms are available under the microscope like mechanical stage controls and focusing controls could fragile so it should not be forced. People must check whether the surface and stage underside of the specimen is clean and dry. You can also use the non-dying immersion oil. When you clean the microscope then you must switch off microscope and it removes the cork from the main socket. People must not use the organic solvents because it could be holding with microscope lens.
Final words of cleaning the microscope….
Once you successfully clean the microscope then you must correctly position the microscope. Try to line up the 10X objective after insert the specimen or slide on the stage. Once you insert the specimen then you must focus the object image thereafter focus the condenser.
Finally, adjust the illumination and inspect under the 40X then 100X. In fact, the light microscope could consist of three types of illumination systems such as build in illumination, daylight and mirror, lamp, and mirror. In case you are not correctly clean this microscope then it could not work properly.
Read more about why you need a microscope.